Dachshund Standard 101
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

starting to show..

+5
alaskanlowrider
NaeKota
Tinsnips2
Proud Lake Dachshunds
Admin
9 posters

Go down

starting to show.. Empty starting to show..

Post  Admin Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:10 pm

I would love tips on showing your own dogs..I am going to co-own my first show pup with the handler and she will be doing the 'showing' part herself...but I would eventually love to build up the courage to handle/show my own one day..I have a fear of public area's where I am in the spotlight (yeah I know I am a vocal person, lol) BUT, any helpful information from breeders who show their own dogs would be most appreciated! I need advice about overcoming my fear of stepping out myself in the ring...
Admin
Admin
Admin

http://www.darlingdollhousedachshunds.com

Back to top Go down

starting to show.. Empty Re: starting to show..

Post  Proud Lake Dachshunds Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:14 pm

I have a bit of stage fright myself, but it honestly helps to go watch a few shows. Before long, you realize that you really don't look at the handlers, but only the dogs. Knowing that everyone out there isn't even looking at YOU really helps. The other thing is, start with handling classes. It gets you used to the routine under less pressure. Then you can work your way up to matches and then a small show. Don't be afraid to tell the judge you're new-most of them are very kind and will help guide you through what you need to do. Nobody outside the ring can hear what you're saying unless you're talking really loudly, so it's just between you and the judge.
Proud Lake Dachshunds
Proud Lake Dachshunds
Hotdog

http://www.proudlakedachshunds.webs.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Tinsnips2 Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:37 pm

The best advice I can give you is to say EVERYBODY starts somewhere :: no one is born knowing how to show and everyone has been in your shoes. Are there any handling classes in your area? Local dachshund clubs ? Join those :: attend some shows and chat to other dachshund people who might be kind enough to give you some pointers.
Practice at home too :: Get a large mirror :: practice standing your dog without looking in the mirror then when you think he looks good have a look :: then repeat doing it :: quite often what looks good or awkward to you behind the dog is not what you expect. Play with positions of the dogs head ; rear front etc : watch where your hands are : : once you have got the dog set up and looking good :: practice doing that till it feels second nature.

have someone video you : that always helps to see what you are doing Smile
Tinsnips2
Tinsnips2
Hotdog

http://www.dachshund-miniature-wirehair.com

Back to top Go down

starting to show.. Empty showing..

Post  Admin Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:43 pm

Me on video's and in front of the mirror? OMG...I really do need to practice What a Face ..I will be going to a show at the end of the month when I meet Cindy to evaluate the pups..she suggested I show myself as well. I am going to work on those tips here at home with this litter Smile
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Tinsnips2 Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:24 pm

lol! yeah I hate videos too :: I dont practice what I preach :: I reckon I would run a mile if I saw a camera pointed at me !
Tinsnips2
Tinsnips2
Hotdog

Back to top Go down

starting to show.. Empty Hello:)

Post  Admin Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:36 am

...at least you have wrinkle cream! Smile
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Tinsnips2 Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:50 am

Admin wrote:...at least you have wrinkle cream! Smile

lol! lol! lol! and pimples Smile (For those that dont get the joke : I put on my status on facebook that the new wrinkle cream was working : I have a pimple coming up so am reverting to adolescent times LOL ) afro
Tinsnips2
Tinsnips2
Hotdog

Back to top Go down

Post  NaeKota Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:34 am

I been showing for 5 years now.. till this day still feels like my first lol
Best of luck!

NaeKota
Weenie

Back to top Go down

Post  alaskanlowrider Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:11 pm

I just started showing last year - I was very nervous too...not one to be put on the spot. Handling classes has really helped me get the hang of it all while meeting some wonderful people in the process. In our first show it really helped my jitters seeing the people from the classes and cheering for them like they did for me.....not all are like that but most are.

I think we would have done better if I hadn't passed my fears down the lead being anxious and had worn a shorter dress so she wouldn't get hit in the face every couple steps - Thankfully, we have an amateur owner/handler class :lol: Now I know more of what I am doing, I am looking forward to this next years shows possessing more confidence and realizing the judges aren't really bogey men Wink

Good Luck !
alaskanlowrider
alaskanlowrider
Weenie

http://alaskanlowriders.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Tinsnips2 Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:20 am

alaskanlowrider wrote:
I think we would have done better if I hadn't passed my fears down the lead being anxious and had worn a shorter dress so she wouldn't get hit in the face every couple steps - ..... !

Yep thats a big thing : if you are nervous it makes the dog nervous : peppermints are good to disguise that, also just take your dog out for a play beforehand : have a laugh and enjoy yourself, perhaps your dog might not be push button but who cares?? :

A couple of things to remember though : the judge does not want to know YOUR age ::he wants the DOG on the table not you :: and when he says take a walk :: he doesnt mean leave the ring !

Clothing is important : make sure it is neat and tidy; I prefer slacks and perhaps a jacket or nice top : others prefer skirts but make sure whatever it is does not detract from the dog : flapping or swishing or badly coloured.

Tinsnips2
Tinsnips2
Hotdog

Back to top Go down

Post  Rhodach Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:43 am

Jenn as others have said we all have to start somewhere,just grab the bull by the horns and go for it, I too am very chatty in surrounding where I know the folk etc. but very quiet and shy in new surrounding where I everything/everybody is strange or demonstrating something infront of an audience for the first time. Jenn that first step is the hardest and after it is over you will wonder what all the fuss was about. Ringcraft classes give you a smaller stage to start off on and they will be able to correct any faults you may have with technique[when I turned I would get between the judge and the dog which is a No No I didn't even think about] and unless it is a rare breed know how you should present the dog to the judge.

If you pop a mint in your mouth make it a small one so you can still answer questions and not chewy that it sticks your jaws together laugh Clothes you wear as Claire says is important,many your side of the Pond seem to wear skirts,tight ones too and look really awkward[saw a video on You Tube once where someone had put together all these clip of women showing their dogs and they were making comments on their dress and the bouncing boobs],most here wear smart trousers and a nice top that isn't too revealing,which are the right colour to not mask the dog[ make sure the trousers fit well,don't want "builders bum" when you bend/crouch down to position your dog],shoes which allow you to move at the right pace for your dog without falling over, I have many a time sat at the ring side and wondered why someone has picked the outfit they are wearing or have they just returned from a night out and not had time to change. Don't forget somewhere to store the treats.

I was a quivering wreck my first time in the ring being watched by so many veteran show friends and my Mum, several had examined him that day and were very pleased with what they saw and felt, I had been to lots of shows but this was my first time in the ring and Lincoln's too,he was great,stood rock solid on the table for this strange man and did what was asked of him on the ground and then we werent placed because he was "too lean" and more or less got told I had starved him for the scales which I had not.

My friends were so sorry for me, so after 2 more similar experiences I will have to wait till he calms down and bulks up[ don't want a reputation of starving my dogs to beat the scales],maybe in time for the veteran classes at over 7yrs old. So back to the drawing board re finding a show quality dachsie.

Jenn is there a friend with an experienced show dog who would let you take it in the ring at a fun show just to gain some practice before stepping out into the bigger arena with one of your own.

Look forward to hearing you have booked your first show or for less pressure tell us all after you have done it.

GOOD LUCK

Rhodach
Rhodach
Hotdog

http://www.simplesite.com/Rhodach-mini-long-dachshunds

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:09 am

I'm not too concerned about what I would wear, as I don't wear pants and never wear tight clothes..I have plently of knee length A line skirts and blouses that 'hide' it all laugh ..just the whole idea of being out in front of everyone and everyone seeing me, wondering who I am and knowing I'm new...I am going to a show on the 25th in Indiana (to have the pups evaluated at @ 8 weeks)..Cindy has asked me to stay and watch how it all goes. I am going to hang out as long as I can, depending on weather it may not be possible with 5 little puppies not fully vaccinated..I am also going to look at two studs she is offering me to co-own (just one)..kind of excited, but still a bit nervous just going to watch...a little nervous about the litter evaluation as well. I so wishing and hoping one of these is show quality..just thinking my heart is going to break if she looks them over and says they all need pet homes pale ..I suppose it goes with the territory though. I will get pics as soon as my camera charges, I got the camera out last night and the batteries were completely dead Rolling Eyes
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Rhodach Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:45 am

Good Luck Jenn with the evaluation,I dreaded getting my pups evaluated by an expert even though they had seen lots of pics from birth and liked what they saw getting a hands on feel of the pups may show things not obvious in the pics.

Keep us posted on how things go.
Rhodach
Rhodach
Hotdog

Back to top Go down

Post  Dandy Dachs Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:46 pm

"builders bum" lmao
I have never heard that term before
is that like a plumber's crack? shakebooty

"builders bum" still laughing!!!

Jenn, you will have a blast at the show.
Just seeing all the dogs and watching is great.
When I do get away and go where my sis in law is showing
with her friends I always get wrangled into helping.
Even standing ringside holding leads (dogs attached LOL)
and changing arm bands and dogs off for the next group is a blast.
You have to be on your toes to keep it all straight if you are
showing more than a couple of dogs.
Terri (sis in law) shows her chihuahuas while Judy (friend) shows
and handles dachshunds and it never fails that they are showing
at the same time so I end up going back and forth between rings.
I did get thrown into the ring last time I went because
Terri was still in the ring with her chi and Judy had won a couple of
different classes and needed a body to stand in. It was a bit crazy,
she slapped the arm band on me,
put the leash in my hand and said follow me! LOL It was all over in
a flash but proved to me that anyone can do it. Glad everyone was
busy so no pics.
Dandy Dachs
Dandy Dachs
Weenie

Back to top Go down

Post  Rhodach Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:53 pm

Cindy you have got the right idea,pleased to have given you a laugh.

I have come out with some corkers in the past, somethings we say here that has a completely different meaning over with you.
Rhodach
Rhodach
Hotdog

Back to top Go down

Post  Tinsnips2 Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:13 am

HOw did the show go ?? Did you have fun ??
Tinsnips2
Tinsnips2
Hotdog

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:03 am

by Tinsnips2 on Mon 26 Sep 2011 - 7:13

HOw did the show go ?? Did you have fun ??

I didn't get to go, Tim's knee gave out and they scheduled him for knee surgery Friday morning (yay to me stuck with EVERYTHING to do for a few weeks!!) ..BUT, I did get to make it to get stacked pics of the pups on stackers.. I just got Internet up and running this morning at 2 am, so I am just now shrinking and uploading pics:)

BTW..I am meeting up with Cindy at the Fort Wayne show at the beginning of Nov Very Happy
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Rhodach Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:37 am

Sorry you didn't get to go to the show.

Look forward to seeing the pics.
Rhodach
Rhodach
Hotdog

Back to top Go down

Post  Bright Star Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:46 pm

Jenn,

When I first started showing in 1982, my mentor gave me a great tip (and then I added some variations of my own) that worked every time I entered the ring to decrease my nervousness.

When you are waiting to enter the ring, pick a person standing/sitting nearby and imagine them with no clothes on. Move from one person to the next, and then areas of the arena, imagining all taking their clothes off. Concentrate on how ridiculous they look. If you can visualize this, your self-confidence goes out the roof because of it being so funny. I used the same method imagining that the other exhibitors were missing their clothes. Then, you KNOW you look better than them, so can't possibly look nervous, stupid, like a "newbie", etc. because you look better than everyone there rofl Works the same way if you imagine them picking their nose, trailing toilet tissue, or anything one never does in public. My mentor for Afghans was really warped, but oh so funny lol!

On a more serious note, while just waiting around for everything to get started, I would also think of being with my grandfather in the beautiful mountains of WV feeding the deer, fishing, etc. This could be any scene that is near and dear to your heart. I could focus on this and block all of the goings on out that were around me.

Once the plunge has been taken and you have made it through the first show, it will get easier. And, of course as the points add up, so does your confidence level. If you decided you do not like it, weepee on it and get a handler Smile But, give it time. I believe you will really enjoy it.

Deb

Bright Star
Bright Star
Weenie

http://BrightStarCherokeeDoxieTribe.com

Back to top Go down

Post  LaurMar Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:39 pm

I've been showing for most of my life, be it in horses or in dogs. And I don't think I will *ever* get rid of those butterflies when I am ring side Smile A wise man once told me, its when you don't feel the butterflies that its time to start to worry. Those butterflies tell you that what your doing matters, TO YOU. If you don't feel it, your just going through the motions, and it no longer matters.

And every imaginable embarrassing thing in the ring has happened to me, and I didn't die from it Smile (although there were times I wish the ground would just open up and swallow me) But all in all, they became memorable moments. I have had my skirt rip down the back, had a shirt tear from a puppy jumping up and pulling on a button hole, had nylons run all down my leg, had a dog literally poop ON ME, had another persons dog piss on my pant leg while standing ringside for my turn to enter, had another exhibitor actually vomit on me, had a bird flying over head poop on my head... well you get the idea, if it can happen, it will probably happen to me LOL

Bottom line, if you believe in your dog, then have fun and SHOW IT Smile The rest of the world can either get with the program, or piss off Smile Because after all, this is supposed to be you going out and having fun with your dog.
LaurMar
LaurMar

Back to top Go down

Post  Dandy Dachs Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:37 pm

lafin lafin lafin
Love the stories of what can go wrong.
We went to a show and our friend's slip actually fell down around her ankles
as they were going around the ring. She didn't miss a step, just swooped
down, snagged it and stuffed it in her jacket pocket.
Of course we had a great laugh later. She had really hoped no one was
paying attention, yea right!!!
Dandy Dachs
Dandy Dachs
Weenie

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down