What to look for when you're looking...

Go down

What to look for when you're looking...

Post  Proud Lake Dachshunds on Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:36 pm

I have a question to pose to you experienced show people. What would you look for if you were looking for a show prospect, and didn't have to consider how the pedigree would fit into your existing lines. I am, as you know, going to be starting over. I'm not looking yet, but I'm trying to formulate a plan regarding how to decide who to contact. I'd love to hear what you would be looking for in a breeder and a dog/puppy if you were in my position.
Proud Lake Dachshunds
Hotdog

View user profile http://www.proudlakedachshunds.webs.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: What to look for when you're looking...

Post  Rhodach on Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:42 pm

I get a feel for the breeder on the phone to start with, if they only answer my questions with Yes or No and the conversation is very one sided then I walk away, I want someone who is happy to chat about the breed and their past experience as you may need to contact them after the pup is home with you. Someone who says there are no faults in their line I wouldn't consider either. Have they done all the health checks prior to breeding and had good results.

Rhuari's breeder didn't have the internet back then so I went to see his parents before the pups were old enough to come home, I left a camera for pics to be taken at different stages,unfortunately she didn't take that many and only when they were up moving about.

With the girls I had lots of pics of Chase before going to get her,her Dam was brought back for me to see too,I also met Lois not knowing I would be getting her less than a year later.

It is really just intuition as to whether you could "work" with this person or not especially if it is a shared ownership when you both need to agree where you go from there with the dog.
Rhodach
Hotdog

View user profile http://www.simplesite.com/Rhodach-mini-long-dachshunds

Back to top Go down

Post  Rhodach on Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:57 pm

I am surprised there wasn't more posts,surely I didn't cover everything?
Rhodach
Hotdog

View user profile http://www.simplesite.com/Rhodach-mini-long-dachshunds

Back to top Go down

What to Look for...

Post  stendachs on Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:59 pm

I have made many mistakes, more than I care to tell...When first looking for a dachshund whether to show or for a companion, I think a person
should search every site possible and note that not all dachshunds look alike. Find the "type" you like, who are the breeders, what are the pedigrees. What are in the pedigrees and has it worked for others-is the breeding consistent??? That is if you are thinking of breeding- it is awesome to have a "bred by" get to their Championship with you as handler or to be asked to Eukanuba. I am still working on "my look" . Also remember to visit the "pedigree" sites. If you can find someone who is honest and will assist you with showing, breeding (a true mentor) you are very fortunate and should take in all the "PEARLS" that person will give. Good luck to all those new to dachshunds or want to advance--myself included. ONE more thing- get a copy of "The ABC's of DOG Breeding" by Claudia Orlandi- it is a good book and if you take the test at the end of the book you will get a cert from AKC. ** I forgot to mention, I showed and bred milk goats (Toggenburgs and Nubians) for over 20 yrs and placed 2nd with a bred by at the yrly DGA Nationals, and I still had not figured out all there was to know.

stendachs

View user profile http://(1) Tennesseedachs.com     (2)Stendachs.com

Back to top Go down

Post  alaskanlowrider on Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:34 pm

Experienced? getting there.......Since I restarted my program looking specifically to get into showing more I have been looking at various kennels - personally I like the "old" style dachshund like my Toby so that is the type I want to produce. So I took the list of known dominant/recessive structure traits making notes of what the dog must have: short legs, long neck, long ribbing etc.

+I picked Luna out after I made the announcement I was starting over - I need more work looking at puppies as I would have passed her up if it wasn't for her breeder's encouragement along with taking a closer look at the dominant traits in the line. Seeing her maturing out nicer than I thought I decided to just compare the parents, grandparents and great grandparents.

In doing this I went out on a limb and told Muddles' breeder if she were to ever put her parents together I want on that waiting list and continued doing research on other lines. to my surprise she not only put them together but put the sire with all of her females so when the puppies came I got to pick which female I wanted for my new foundation.....that was hard. I didn't know until later Muddles was from the couple I wanted a puppy from. She just turned a year old and is looking really nice.

So now having my 2 foundation bitches, I am going over their strengths and weaknesses comparing their individual notes with their ancestors notes. Luna's breeder is picking out her stud for me to learn from - hopefully it pans out because the stud is gorgeous. I am on my own with Muddles but have a good idea what her stud needs to have by talking with other breeders whom I admire their programs.....I am currently researching an upcoming breeding focusing on what improvements Muddles needs and the traits he needs in his background that ties in with the type I want - it looks promising that my foundation stud may be in that litter seeing how the couples last litter is maturing.

I have mapped out what I want on the "color side" as a loose guideline to help narrow down future prospects as I want to go darker with Luna and lighter with Muddles. Of course, it may not pan out in the long run as structure is more important than color but it is something to consider. Besides training, showing and enjoying my girls, I am waiting for responses gathering their ancestors health information well as much as I can as I track each one down to add to my notes so when I do a line breeding to cement in traits I want, I am more aware of what could pop up. Of course, its all a gamble and only time will tell for sure but I think I am on the right track this time around.
alaskanlowrider
Weenie

View user profile http://alaskanlowriders.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Tinsnips2 on Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:16 pm

I didnt even see this post :: but yep type structure ; good health and temperament !

I dont know many mini long lines but I bet I could sit at ringside DCA and pick out certain kennels due to the type that consistently comes through : I know when I was at the NMDC a few years ago I picked out every mini wire from Dealer ; and every one that came don from Gunner :: a strong kennel will have a particular type set ! ( then itsjust decideing what you like )
Tinsnips2
Hotdog

View user profile http://www.dachshund-miniature-wirehair.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Dandy Dachs on Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:07 pm

I didn't answer because I don't show yet.
I have been told to go to the shows, buy the program and sit
ringside and take notes on all the dogs you like.
Pick the type that draws your eye, research the pedigrees
and talk to everyone you can. If you can get the lines
you want a great mentor should come along with the dog Smile
Dandy Dachs
Weenie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Proud Lake Dachshunds on Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:52 pm

I'd forgotten I'd made this post! Thanks for all the thoughts. I haven't really decided what I'm going to do yet, but I'm going to take my time, and hopefully make a better decision next time. sunny
Proud Lake Dachshunds
Hotdog

View user profile http://www.proudlakedachshunds.webs.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum