Dachshund Standard 101
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BrightStar Chief Edley now in the ring...

+2
Dandy Dachs
Bright Star
6 posters

Go down

BrightStar Chief Edley now in the ring... Empty BrightStar Chief Edley now in the ring...

Post  Bright Star Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:53 pm

Hi All,

My handsome cream dog, BrightStar Soule of Chief Edley Creamfeather, aka "Chief" began his show career last weekend in Knoxville, TN with his handler, Kaye Atkinson. That first wekend was a learning experience. He was very nervous, but loosened up over the 3 days. This weekend, Kaye took him to the Dacatur/Huntsville, AL show for his second weekend out. We were hoping that he would be more comfortable.

I, oh so proudly, would like to announce that he took BOW under Judge David Loring Brown for a 4-point major yay Mr. Brown is also a breeder and an AKC dachshund specialty judge, so "WOW!" is all I can say. I am in shock! I Chief he would do well, but didn't expect this well, this rapidly. Hopefully, it won't be one of those cases where points come early, then you wait forever to get that other major. I will post the pic as soon as it becomes available.

We are simply THRILLED!!!!!! This is the first dog that I have had in the ring since 1992 when I was showing my own Afghan hounds. I did not think a major, or any win, would feel the same since I can physically no longer be the exhibitor, but I was wrong. It is just as exciting being the owner outside for me now. I went down to Alabama Sat and Sun, but he did not do as well, just class wins. Wish I could have seen him win the points, but maybe I will get lucky and he will take one/some in St. Louis in 2 weeks indianchief

I did take a couple of pics and a video on my new camera yesterday, but just got home this afternoon and haven't looked at them. If they turned out, I'll post those until his BOW win pic gets here.

Deb

Last edited by Bright Star on Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bright Star
Bright Star
Weenie

http://BrightStarCherokeeDoxieTribe.com

Back to top Go down

BrightStar Chief Edley now in the ring... Empty Re: BrightStar Chief Edley now in the ring...

Post  Dandy Dachs Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:41 pm

How totally fabulous, Congratulations!!!
Looking forward to seeing waht pics you have.
He is good enough to not be a one hit wonder.
Dandy Dachs
Dandy Dachs
Weenie

Back to top Go down

BrightStar Chief Edley now in the ring... Empty Re: BrightStar Chief Edley now in the ring...

Post  Rhodach Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:03 pm

Congrats Deb, he is getting in plenty of experience to get him used to what he should be doing.

Class wins are nothing to be sneezed at,it proves your dog was better than the others in the ring with him, he conforms to the breed standard and it wasn't a fluke that one judge liked him.

Look forward to the pics.
Rhodach
Rhodach
Hotdog

http://www.simplesite.com/Rhodach-mini-long-dachshunds

Back to top Go down

Post  Bright Star Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:48 pm

Rhodach wrote:Congrats Deb, he is getting in plenty of experience to get him used to what he should be doing.

Class wins are nothing to be sneezed at,it proves your dog was better than the others in the ring with him, he conforms to the breed standard and it wasn't a fluke that one judge liked him.

Look forward to the pics.

Rhona,

You are right about classes and I know they are nothing to be sneezed out, lol. But, the success I had in Afghans makes them seem trivial sometimes. I have to remember that this is a totally new experience/world for Chief. I have known all along that he had "the X factor" and I am so proud that he is proving it from the beginning Smile I just wish now that I had not waited so long on the other handler to finish a few more dogs before she could take him, just to end up saying she wasn't going to exhibit anymore. No matter though, I adore my handler now and she has 35 more years experience than the old one, lol.

This handler was showing Danes when I was showing the Afghans 30 years ago. Makes it much more exciting and we are becoming good friends. We can discuss some of the "oldies but goodies" in the ring from days gone by. She will also be taking Delana to train, my black/cream 7 month old dapple bitch out of Rowdy & Haley, when she begins picking the shows back up about Feb. 1st. In addition, I have a red Chief daughter that is 5 months old from his oops litter with Kati that looks very promising Smile It is so rewarding to see some of my plans/dreams from when I started intensley studying the breed 7 years ago becoming a reality. It is also wonderful to be able to share it with friends that have encouraged/mentored me along the way. As much as I still love Afghans, having my little pet longhair doxie girl, Suzy, for 12 years and growing up with a smooth, set me with doxies for life.

Deb
Bright Star
Bright Star
Weenie

Back to top Go down

BrightStar Chief Edley now in the ring... Empty Major Win Pic Added

Post  Bright Star Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:40 am

Hi All!

I received Chief's BOW win pic today. Here you go...

BrightStar Chief Edley now in the ring... Chiefs4-ptMajorPic11-11-11

I hate that his beautiful long coat has to be so groomed, but I will get used to seeing him this way, lol. I will be so happy to have him back on the couch with us for a couple of months beginning next week.

This weekend, Chief is showing in Bellville, IL (St. Louis show), his 3rd weekend out. Chief turned 18 months old on the 16th, so he will move to the open class this weekend. Friday is a dachshund specialty with tough competition. There are majors in longs everyday Smile

For a closer look at him and in case anyone wants to critique him for me, here are a couple of pics and videos from his 1st show (Knoxville, TN). He was not groomed in Knoxville because the groomer was ill. So, he looks just like he did at home, lol. He also was not with Kaye in the videos, but rather with my friend Eva Gillespy. Eva helped Kaye by exhibiting Chief because Kaye had to be in another ring. So, Eva's husband got the videos for me while Eva and Chief were in the ring. I am so thankful to have them since I could not attend. I still can't believe he won his class everyday that weekend plus Reserve Winners one day without even being groomed and never having been in the ring before (which you can tell in the videos, lol). Look at that 4 inch long hair on his tail dragging the ground behind him, rofl.

BrightStar Chief Edley now in the ring... Chief1stshow-2nddaytableexamwithjudge-byEva
BrightStar Chief Edley now in the ring... Chief1stshow-2nddayreadytoenterring-byEva
BrightStar Chief Edley now in the ring... Chief1stshow-2ndday-tablebyEva

BrightStar Chief Edley now in the ring... Th_ChiefVideo1stshow-4thday-withEva-LongoneBrightStar Chief Edley now in the ring... Th_ChiefVideo1stshow-4thday-withEva2

Deb

Last edited by Bright Star on Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bright Star
Bright Star
Weenie

Back to top Go down

Post  Proud Lake Dachshunds Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:40 am

Nice win picture-congratulations, Deb!
Proud Lake Dachshunds
Proud Lake Dachshunds
Hotdog

http://www.proudlakedachshunds.webs.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Bright Star Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:44 pm

Thanks Kathleen Very Happy
Bright Star
Bright Star
Weenie

Back to top Go down

Post  Rhodach Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:06 am

Thanks for sharing the pics and videos with us.

The thing which really caught my eye is that he is carrying his tail too low so you don't see the "flag" of the feathering on his tail.

I prefer to see the long haired dachsies with just their feet trimmed and the rest left as it was intended to grow, the judge gets to put their hands on the dog to check for shape which the coat may obscure, he did very well the weekend he was left unclipped so I would have left him that way.

Is he back home with you now?
Rhodach
Rhodach
Hotdog

Back to top Go down

Post  Bright Star Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:28 pm

Rhodach wrote:Thanks for sharing the pics and videos with us.

The thing which really caught my eye is that he is carrying his tail too low so you don't see the "flag" of the feathering on his tail.

I prefer to see the long haired dachsies with just their feet trimmed and the rest left as it was intended to grow, the judge gets to put their hands on the dog to check for shape which the coat may obscure, he did very well the weekend he was left unclipped so I would have left him that way.

Is he back home with you now?

Hey Rhona,

Yea, he was carrying his tail low those first couple of days. But, in the second show, it was out and beautiful after he had gotten over the intimidation feeling. That is when he took the major and was groomed. He acts like a pro now. Sadly, no wins in St. Louis though Sad Terrific competition there. Kaye finished two of her dogs and gained some GR CH points on one. I am the only long that she handles. If Chief had won again, she would have had every one of the dachshunds she had with her win. She is great! I am so satisfied with his 3 shows thus far. All I wanted was to get him in by the end of the year and used to showing. I really did not expect any points out of these show. So, I am thrilled with his progress thus far Very Happy Can't wait to get him home for his break though. He is my cream baby and Stetson is my husbands, lol.

I will be talking to Kaye today about what day to pick him up. Kati is in heat, so I may wait until next week. I also have a puppy that a lady in MI is adopting that I could save her 7 hours driving if I met her next week and picked up Chief at the same time. Just have to find out what Kaye's schedule is as I know she is getting prepared to go to the Eukanuba show next week.

On the grooming, he probably looks better again now since the new "hair do" has had a little time to grow. He really does have an extreme amount (too much) coat, but I love it. I may ask Vicki Singleton about not grooming him so severly when he returns to the ring in Feb.
Bright Star
Bright Star
Weenie

Back to top Go down

Post  Tinsnips2 Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:32 pm

he is looking good :: enjoy the ride !
Tinsnips2
Tinsnips2
Hotdog

http://www.dachshund-miniature-wirehair.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Bright Star Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:47 pm

Tinsnips2 wrote:he is looking good :: enjoy the ride !

Thanks Very Happy I am enjoying it. I pick him up this Sunday and am taking the two females that I held back to be evaluated. One of them is a daughter of Chief's.
Bright Star
Bright Star
Weenie

Back to top Go down

Post  Rhodach Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:37 pm

How did the evaluation of the pups go?
Rhodach
Rhodach
Hotdog

Back to top Go down

Post  Bright Star Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:54 pm

Both Delana and Fancy Pants were evaluated show quality and Kaye wants to put them in the ring. It is so nice to have a handler that has been in the ring 38 years, I get honest evaluations because she is not going to take anything in the ring that she thinks she can not win with. She has her reputation to uphold. Again, I am blessed to have found her. I will do a new post on Delana and Fancy Pants when they enter the ring. We took pics today that I am getting ready to put on my website on the "Ladies" page if anyone wants to see them.

Deb
Bright Star
Bright Star
Weenie

Back to top Go down

BrightStar Chief Edley now in the ring... Empty 2012 Travelin' Man-Chief :)

Post  Bright Star Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:02 am

Hi All,

Just an update...I will be taking Chief to my handler's on the 21st to begin his pursuit to complete his CH. To date, 10 entries with 9 wins and one 2nd out of his class; RW; WD; BOW-4 pts bounce That one red class ribbon looks so out of place, rofl. I hope he continues to do as well.

I have not decided which bitch, Delana or Fancy Pants, will be staying at Kaye's for training. The plan is that I will take both girls to be evaluated by 3 additional breeder/handlers (2 are also judges) that are spending the weekend at Kaye's while I am there. Then, for bonding & exposure, I will leave the one girl to train and to travel to the shows without participating. It will probably be March when the bitch starts showing. I was invited to spend the weekend up there with Kaye and her friends. She is judging the hound and herding groups in a match while we are there and we are all going to volunteer at the match Very Happy Chief's 1st show for the year will be the first weekend of Feb.

It is just so much fun for me to be included and involved in the ring after a 20 year abscence. In spite of MS and not being physically able to handle Chief, I am "enjoying the ride", as Claire said Smile

Deb
Bright Star
Bright Star
Weenie

Back to top Go down

Post  Rhodach Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:10 pm

Enjoy your visit, just the sort of visit I would love, doggie folks and their activities.
Rhodach
Rhodach
Hotdog

Back to top Go down

Post  Bright Star Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:00 pm

Well Buddies,

I am a little down temporarily but wanted to give an update. Chief was in the Atlanta and Indy shows this month and got first in his class most days, and 2nd the other two. But, no WD Crying or Very sad I think I was spoiled by his rapid success and want him to win every time out now. But, I know how many wonderful dogs are out there competing. Plus, when he started the last two months of last year, I was just going to be happy with him having the experience of the ring, not expecting wins (especially not his big one) until he had gotten comfortable. He is now registered for The Louisville (Specialty on Friday), Nashville, and Louisville shows for March. And, he will be in the DCA Specialty in Atlanta in April. My hopes are still high as`he gets so many positive comments from other breeders, handlers, and judges, and because Kaye and Vickie Singleton have extreme faith in gaining a Grand Champion on him. I hope they are right. Will keep you updated on the forthcoming shows.

Deb
Bright Star
Bright Star
Weenie

Back to top Go down

Post  Rhodach Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:43 pm

Deb don't be down hearted, he won his class, keep your chin up.

Best of luck at the future shows
Rhodach
Rhodach
Hotdog

Back to top Go down

Post  Bright Star Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:16 pm

Bright Star wrote:Well Buddies,

Louisville (Specialty on Friday), Nashville, and Louisville shows for March. And, he will be in the DCA Specialty in Atlanta in April.
Deb

The first Louisville is actually St, Louis, not twice in Louisville Embarassed
Bright Star
Bright Star
Weenie

Back to top Go down

Post  rsepiphyte Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:36 pm

Hey, we will be at those shows also! Keep the faith, trust me you can't win every time out but if he is consistently finishing first in his class its only at matter of time till you have a Champion on your hands! Best of luck! Ruth
rsepiphyte
rsepiphyte
Weenie

http://www.largepaws.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Bright Star Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:24 pm

rsepiphyte wrote:Hey, we will be at those shows also! Keep the faith, trust me you can't win every time out but if he is consistently finishing first in his class its only at matter of time till you have a Champion on your hands! Best of luck! Ruth

Thanks Ruth,

And, yeah, I know he can't point everytime, it wouldn't be worth competing if it was that easy Very Happy Upside is, sounds like you and I will finally get to meet face-to-face. I will at the least make the Nashville/Franklin, TN show.

Deb
Bright Star
Bright Star
Weenie

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum