Dachshund Standard 101
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Penny

4 posters

Go down

Penny Empty Penny

Post  Rhodach Thu May 10, 2012 2:03 pm

Penny was 9yrs old yesterday, many of you will know she was diagnosed and surgically treated for a Liver Shunt at 8 months old, she was desperately ill and we didn't think she would see 1 year old let alone another 8.

She is her usual bouncy self, regularly goes away on holiday with Mum, staying in hotels and B&B's.

She still has the occassional seizure but since starting to have half a junior aspirin daily they have been less frequent and she hasn't needed epileptic meds., she still needs Lactulose 2mls daily to stop her getting constipated, this is mixed in with her food which remains low protein as do her treats.

I included her story on my website and get lots of queries re the condition and the treatment, none have been dachsie owners so it remains as rare in our breed as it was back then.

Not everyone gets the same outcome as we did, some have multiple shunts which can't be treated with surgery only symptom control this shortens the dogs life greatly.

I will try and get pics or a video to share with you all.
Rhodach
Rhodach
Hotdog

http://www.simplesite.com/Rhodach-mini-long-dachshunds

Back to top Go down

Penny Empty Re: Penny

Post  nerd_rock Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:38 pm

When Sadie was a puppy and first started having seizures at around 5 months old the vet thought she might have a liver shunt, but she just has plain ol' epilepsy. We have been able to successfully treat her with a low sugar diet and took her off meds around her first birthday. Up until about a year and a half ago, she had one or two seizures a year, but she's been seizure free since then. She'll be 7 in October.

I'm so happy that Penny is still with your mom and her lively self. I remember being at a show and having a breeder tell me that it would be kinder to euthanize Sadie, thankfully I didn't listen to her and my baby girl is healthy and bouncing around, just like Penny. Very Happy
nerd_rock
nerd_rock

Back to top Go down

Post  Bright Star Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:50 pm

Rhona,

So happy to hear the update on Penny Very Happy What a girl!

Deb
Bright Star
Bright Star
Weenie

http://BrightStarCherokeeDoxieTribe.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Rhodach Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:53 pm

Thanks folks

She hasn't had a seizure for months now once she settled on the half a child Aspirin daily to thin her blood slightly and it may help re seizures, hers are not very frequent anyway so this may be a coincidence only time will tell.
Rhodach
Rhodach
Hotdog

http://www.simplesite.com/Rhodach-mini-long-dachshunds

Back to top Go down

Post  Dandy Dachs Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:54 pm

I'm glad Penny has done so well and is keeping
your Mom such good company. Hope she has
many more bouncy years to come!!
Dandy Dachs
Dandy Dachs