Dachshund Standard 101
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stacking points at shows ?

3 posters

Go down

Stacking points at shows ? Empty Stacking points at shows ?

Post  alaskanlowrider Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:05 am

I am still trying to understand my best bet to walk away from a show with at least one point. See here shows are very small and infrequent at 5 a year. Show breeders here are working on wirehairs with only an entry or two in smooth and long. January tends to be the lowest entries due to Washington States Rose show being held the same weekend. This year however the sponsoring club managed to put the show for the weekend after theirs so the regular entries here should be going up from previous years. I just got my brochure for next months show and asked my trainer today just how this all works so I can try to get at least one dog pointed using 2 newbie handlers (me and my 14 yr old daughter) - she told me she would look everything over and let me know next weekend when we meet up again what my best bets are....I trust her to show me what I am doing right/wrong but it always helps to have more than one person's input.......

Our point schedule is a bit different than down states: 2 Dogs/bitches = 1 point, 3 Dogs/Bitches = 2 points, 4 Dogs/Bitches = 3 points, 5 dogs/Bitches = 4 points and 6 Dogs/Bitches = 5 points.

The counts for longhairs are: 2009 - 1/3/1/0, 2010 - 0/2/0/0, 2011 - 1/0/0/1 The preliminary count not including my entries are: 1/2/0/1 - of course nothing is official and this number keeps changing until the actual counts are up after January 11th - the last day to enter.

I know Muddles is my best girl followed closely by Luna then Phoebe. For this show Muddles will be 1 yr old, Luna will be 2 yrs and Phoebe will be 18 months. Out of all the categories I could enter in: bred by (Phoebe), 12-18 mo (Muddles and Phoebe), Open (all 3), Novice? (all 3), American bred (all 3), Amateur owner/handler (all 3) and knowing most people enter in the 12-18 mo and open classes - I am trying to figure out my best bets given its 30 per dog per day for me to show and for my daughter 17 per day and 14 per day for each additional dog given she can show under the novice intermediate class without needing a junior ID number from AKC which she probably wouldn't get in time due to the holidays to show under the open immediate class.... I also have a 10 yr old interested in showing that would fall under the novice Junior or open Junior class (if we can get the id number in time).

I am thinking we could put Muddles and Phoebe in the 12-18 mo so Muddles can walk away with 1 point then Phoebe in the bred by class for experience then all 3 in Amateur owner/handler for 2 points for either Muddles or Luna - again in American bred then give someone else the opportunity in Open then there is the brace class, winners dog/bitch and best of breed...I don't know its all confusing - I do know is this show is my best bet to get at least one of my girls pointed while the standard female longhair - Hailey is finished and the standard longhair male Spartacus might be showing (Both from http://www.akinukennel.com/dachshunds/dachshunds.htm out of Xeralane) - there are a couple other show breeders with longhairs that could enter but they seem to be focusing on wires for now http://www.onofrio.com/execpgm/wbshwpg?SHOW=KENA090843.....

oh and the only one with experience is Luna but she gets freaked out easily considering my jitters being put on the spot not allowing anyone to handle her but me - Muddles will do whatever she is asked to unsure of a stranger but will still comply, Phoebe takes some bribing to stay on task - My 14 yr old does as instructed and my 10 yr old has no patience - I can't afford to hire a handler at 200.00 per show plus entries ..............given all the information what would you do?

alaskanlowrider
alaskanlowrider
Weenie

http://alaskanlowriders.com

Back to top Go down

Stacking points at shows ? Empty Re: Stacking points at shows ?

Post  Proud Lake Dachshunds Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:35 pm

I think you're misunderstanding how points work. There are no points awarded for winning your CLASS. If there are two class bitches (any class, they don't have to be in classes together), the winners bitch is awarded one point. You can have three bitches, all in their own classes-each gets a blue ribbon (unless the judge finds them without merit). Then you take all three into the winners bitch class. The winner there is awarded a point (or in your case, two points because you're taking 3 bitches and 3 is two points in your region). This is all assuming the judge doesn't withhold points-and he/she is entitled to do that if they find the entry without merit.
Proud Lake Dachshunds
Proud Lake Dachshunds
Hotdog

http://www.proudlakedachshunds.webs.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  alaskanlowrider Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:21 pm

Your explanation is a lot easier to understand Embarassed I have just been working on gaining confidence for the last year sticking in the amateur owner/handler class by myself but I think I am ready to take it to the next level. Yes, I am/was definitely misunderstanding....... how it was explained to me (not very well watching at shows) is that round 1 is all the classes can get points depending how many of the same sex was in that class so 3 bitches = 2 pts then in round 2 all the winners for each class compete against each other then get points depending how many classes were entered so say 4 classes with 1 dog of same sex in each = 3 points then round 3 is the best of breed where the winning female goes against the winning male then the best one the judge picks gets the points from whichever sex had the highest count so if the dog won but there were 2 more entries for the bitches then he would get the bitches points in addition to his class points. See the confusion? This is why I like to take baby steps learning one aspect at a time instead of all at once then getting it all jumbled Rolling Eyes

So if I am understanding correctly, each class is just a preliminary round for the best one to get points at the very end so it would be pointless to enter the same dog in 2 different classes because it would only count as 1 entry? So I would enter Muddles in the 12-18 mo class with my daughter, then Luna in the open class unless another person shows Luna so I can take Phoebe in the bred by class and that is, if the judge doesn't find fault in any of their entries for one of them to walk away with 1-2 points each day, if no one else enters their longhairs ?
alaskanlowrider
alaskanlowrider
Weenie

Back to top Go down

Post  Proud Lake Dachshunds Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:02 pm

alaskanlowrider wrote:
So if I am understanding correctly, each class is just a preliminary round for the best one to get points at the very end so it would be pointless to enter the same dog in 2 different classes because it would only count as 1 entry? So I would enter Muddles in the 12-18 mo class with my daughter, then Luna in the open class unless another person shows Luna so I can take Phoebe in the bred by class and that is, if the judge doesn't find fault in any of their entries for one of them to walk away with 1-2 points each day, if no one else enters their longhairs ?

Exactly. Don't waste your entry money on multiple entries for the same bitch. Only one of them is coming away with the points in the end in any case. Dana posted a wonderful diagram on Facebook that makes it really clear. I borrowed it from her FB page and am posting it here. This should make it more clear to you how it works.

Stacking points at shows ? ShowSchematic
Proud Lake Dachshunds
Proud Lake Dachshunds
Hotdog

Back to top Go down

Post  alaskanlowrider Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:03 pm

Awesome break down - Thank you Kathleen your the best!
alaskanlowrider
alaskanlowrider
Weenie

Back to top Go down

Post  Proud Lake Dachshunds Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:32 pm

No worries. I highly recommend buying catalogs the first few times, and watching other breeds-it helps you to follow the judging. It can be confusing at first because not all classes get entered, and dogs don't show up so entire classes get skipped.
Proud Lake Dachshunds
Proud Lake Dachshunds
Hotdog

Back to top Go down

Post  Bright Star Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:57 pm

[quote="Proud Lake Dachshunds"]
alaskanlowrider wrote:

Exactly. Don't waste your entry money on multiple entries for the same bitch. Only one of them is coming away with the points in the end in any case. Dana posted a wonderful diagram on Facebook that makes it really clear. I borrowed it from her FB page and am posting it here. This should make it more clear to you how it works.

Kathleen,

Thanks for posting this schematic that Dana put on FB. I missed it when she posted it somehow. This is PERFECT for my husband to understand. Lol, I had written one out and explained it to him like the elimination in the NCAA Final Four to get him to understand. He got it up to where Chief took BOW, but this chart shows him exactly how the eliminations go all of the way through. Now, he totally gets it and said, "Okay, next on our agenda is Chief taking Best of Show" rofl

Deb
Bright Star
Bright Star
Weenie

http://BrightStarCherokeeDoxieTribe.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down