Dachshund Standard 101
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Temperament

5 posters

Go down

Temperament Empty Temperament

Post  nerd_rock Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:18 pm

I think this is the right spot for this...

If you have a female, or male for that matter, that hates the show ring should you breed from that particular dog?

I know there are a lot of factors that could go into this; general temperament, socialization, accidents, bad handlers, etc. Assuming that the dog has been socialized and has never had any negative experiences that could impact it's desire to be in the ring, would you breed from this dog still?

I've seen quite a few people post on various forums saying that they would breed a bitch that didn't show well if she had the right conformation so I was curious about it. Would the temperament of this dog not be ideal because it would be considered shy/submissive? And what is the inheritance of a shy/submissive temperament to the pups?
nerd_rock
nerd_rock

Back to top Go down

Temperament Empty Re: Temperament

Post  Rhodach Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:48 am

I don't agree that a dog who is wary in the ring should not be bred from, Lois hated being shown, she was placed each time out but obviously was not enjoying the experience unlike her litter brother who is now a Russian Champ.

Lois went on to produce 2 litters and 1 pup from the first litter and 2 pups from the second litter have enjoyed being shown if only rarely, all the pups are outgoing.

It would be a different matter if the dog was being nasty to the judge, therefore something else was affecting its behaviour and could be showing signs at other less stressful times.

I think you have to weigh up each dog on its own merits not just putting a blanket ban on all dogs who don't enjoy the ring being withdrawn.
Rhodach
Rhodach
Hotdog

http://www.simplesite.com/Rhodach-mini-long-dachshunds

Back to top Go down

Post  nerd_rock Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:54 am

It was actually your post on here that reminded me. I wasn't trying to attack anyone, I was just curious about it and whether it was something that was inherited or not.

Do you know if something happened to Lois while she was in the ring that may have scared her or made her dislike showing?

I know with Fynn, he's fine if it's myself or my boyfriend handling him (he's better with my boyfriend because they are so bonded, but my boyfriend hates shows, lol), he'll literally strut around the ring. It's kind of funny. I had one of my friends handle him for me for one class so I could see how he worked with someone else, he hated it then and just kind of slinked around the ring, arched his back when he was stacked, etc.

nerd_rock
nerd_rock

Back to top Go down

Post  Proud Lake Dachshunds Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:50 pm

nerd_rock wrote:I think this is the right spot for this...

If you have a female, or male for that matter, that hates the show ring should you breed from that particular dog?

I know there are a lot of factors that could go into this; general temperament, socialization, accidents, bad handlers, etc. Assuming that the dog has been socialized and has never had any negative experiences that could impact it's desire to be in the ring, would you breed from this dog still?

I've seen quite a few people post on various forums saying that they would breed a bitch that didn't show well if she had the right conformation so I was curious about it. Would the temperament of this dog not be ideal because it would be considered shy/submissive? And what is the inheritance of a shy/submissive temperament to the pups?

It depends on the dogs behavior, I would say. Does it hate the show ring, but cooperates, just isn't up and happy and showy like the judges like to see? Or is the dog terrified of the exam, or cringe away when the judge looks at it? I would say the first is a perfectly acceptable dog to breed, and the second, not so much. Millie and Junie both cooperated fine-they would stand for exam, gait around the ring, etc, but they were what you often hear referred to as "deadheads". No life or bounce, and judges just don't like that. Not to mention that Millie has a serious "Go to hell, you dirtbag." expression toward the judges (picture below-you can imagine how popular that look is with the judges).
Temperament MilliesDirtbagExpression
Proud Lake Dachshunds
Proud Lake Dachshunds
Hotdog

http://www.proudlakedachshunds.webs.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Rhodach Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:43 am

Nothing happened to Lois as far as I am aware, as she was placed she must have done enough to please the judges but her heart wasn't in it compared to what her breeders were used to, she was retired from the ring and had her first litter at about 2yrs old, she was very attached to one person and not a show off at all.

She has left behind 2 of her offspring who have been shown and have outgoing bomb proof attitudes to all they encounter plus Lexis who didn't make it conformation wise but has attitude by the bucket load.

Lois now has a grand daughter in the ring [Leia's daughter] who is in the early stages of her career.

Hopefully Lincoln and Maizie will carry on those genes,only time will tell.
Rhodach
Rhodach
Hotdog

http://www.simplesite.com/Rhodach-mini-long-dachshunds

Back to top Go down

Post  rsepiphyte Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:30 pm

"Go to hell, you dirtbag." expression ! OK, that had me laughing so hard i nearly choked on my drink. The picture superbly captured that expression! LOL! Ruth
rsepiphyte
rsepiphyte
Weenie

http://www.largepaws.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Bright Star Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:05 pm

rsepiphyte wrote:"Go to hell, you dirtbag." expression ! OK, that had me laughing so hard i nearly choked on my drink. The picture superbly captured that expression! LOL! Ruth

I cracked up too and the pic so much looks like that is what Millie is truly saying lmao
Bright Star
Bright Star
Weenie

http://BrightStarCherokeeDoxieTribe.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Proud Lake Dachshunds Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:46 pm

Bright Star wrote:
rsepiphyte wrote:"Go to hell, you dirtbag." expression ! OK, that had me laughing so hard i nearly choked on my drink. The picture superbly captured that expression! LOL! Ruth

I cracked up too and the pic so much looks like that is what Millie is truly saying lmao

Hah! Glad to be entertaining. I finally figured out to put Millie's ears over her face when the judge is approaching, so they don't have to see that expression, and I just pretended I was showing off her neck. I've had several fellow competitors tell me they've never seen a dog give such a dirty look on the table before. What a Face
Proud Lake Dachshunds
Proud Lake Dachshunds
Hotdog

http://www.proudlakedachshunds.webs.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum