Dachshund Standard 101
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

An example of an ick litter :)

5 posters

Go down

An example of  an ick litter :) Empty An example of an ick litter :)

Post  Tinsnips2 Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:44 am

Ok so I wanted to post a pic of a crap pup in comparion to a litter that showed quality:: there were SOOOO many pics I could have posted (just went to one of the forums LOL ) BUT I resisted :: so :: this is a pic of my very first litter I ever bred : mini smooths back in the 70's :: they were NOT an improvement on their mum apart from size : I learnt a valuable lesson then :: improve each generation or forget it ! I was guided by the breeder of my bitch but thinking back now :: she didnt have a clue ! Look at the round eyes and round skulls : no bone :: ICK!!! I think they were about 4 weeks there :: loved the little boogers though :: Sheer (mum ) was my heart dog !

An example of  an ick litter :) Sherry10

Tinsnips2
Tinsnips2
Hotdog

http://www.dachshund-miniature-wirehair.com

Back to top Go down

An example of  an ick litter :) Empty ick litter..

Post  Admin Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:10 am

THIS is the smooth type I see everywhere now...only at least these appear to have the correct color ging on...like little baby chihuahua's rofl ..they are cuties though its ok
Admin
Admin
Admin

http://www.darlingdollhousedachshunds.com

Back to top Go down

An example of  an ick litter :) Empty Re: An example of an ick litter :)

Post  Tinsnips2 Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:25 am

lol! Yeah they were notthe best litter but I was learning then : I did keep one an showed it : she ended up 9 lbs still had the poppy eyes and round skull no bone :: she did have a good topline and was balanced front n rear but thats about it : never got her titled but she had a great temperament and lived with my step sis : saved my neice from a snake and was a top little pet ! It was a sad day when she disappeared : never to be found :: we think she went away to die : she was quite elderly when she disappeared. pale
Tinsnips2
Tinsnips2
Hotdog

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:16 pm

Oh my gosh! When i read "ick" the first thing i thought of was fish! Ick is a dreaded disease in the saltwater fish community! LOL! Ruth
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:21 pm

When the back of the skull is wider than the length of the muzzle to me there is no doubt that chi's played a role somewhere back in the history of the dachshund. Ruth
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Tinsnips2 Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:53 pm

rsepiphyte wrote:Oh my gosh! When i read "ick" the first thing i thought of was fish! Ick is a dreaded disease in the saltwater fish community! LOL! Ruth

LOl it is amazing how our slang can mean different things :: I remember watching The Nanny for the first time and the intro song says she was out on her fanny :: I nearly died!! LOL fanny is not a persons butt in Australia :: but it is another part of the sheilas anatomy !
Tinsnips2
Tinsnips2
Hotdog

Back to top Go down

Post  Tinsnips2 Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:59 pm

rsepiphyte wrote:When the back of the skull is wider than the length of the muzzle to me there is no doubt that chi's played a role somewhere back in the history of the dachshund. Ruth

I agree LOL I often wonder about the pies etc too :: particulairly in the longs you see on some sites :: they remind me more of cavs or paps :: gotta wonder hey ??? If the pie colouring was natural :: why is it that we dont have them cropping up in litters ? The old saying "only in America" could be applied ??? Granted occasionally you see spalshes of white on the chst : but normally a small spot:: I think Duck even had a splash of white on his chest when born:: but it grew out :: but then his father was a USA dog anyway.
Tinsnips2
Tinsnips2
Hotdog

Back to top Go down

Post  GoldiDox Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:18 am

Oh my, Claire, the pup on the left looks like the twin of my first Dachshund, Sassie! She was a pet, but hooked me on the breed (I'd loved the breed most of my life, but getting my hands on my own pup had me over the moon! lol). Sassie was from a less then reputable breeder, but of course I hadn't a clue back then ('89). Breeder sent me home with her when she was only 6 wks old (again, me = no clue). She was barely weaned and very insecure, poor sweet thing. It's probably a good thing I named her Sassie, cuz that's what she grew to be. Smile

I've not had a litter here yet, but am quite confident my dogs' pups will be much nicer then my Sassie was (conformation-wise). But I know I have a lot to learn, and am anxious to have the chance to get at it when I do have that first litter. Smile

An example of  an ick litter :) Sassie
GoldiDox
GoldiDox

http://www.goldidoxgrove.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Rhodach Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:45 am

We all live and learn when it comes to breeding,still don't know where Lexis got her genes from as she doesn't resemble her brother or sister at all, if I hadn't been there at the mating I would have thought another much smaller example of the breed got at Lois.

The small white bits seen on some solids is due to the minus factor where the colour hasn't reached every bit, according the breed standard acceptable but not desirable.

When I first saw piebald dachsies my first thought was a Jack Russell Terrier had had a hand in it somewhere,never seen them anywhere except the US and Canada. Some years ago a forum member emigrated to Germany and was livid when she couldn't register her piebald dachsie with their registry, she had been waiting to start breeding till after the move.
Rhodach
Rhodach
Hotdog

http://www.simplesite.com/Rhodach-mini-long-dachshunds

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:16 pm

Hmmmmm, Rhona i never thought of where piebalds originated from. I just assumed it was a genetic anomaly from some past breeding. Ruth
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Dandy Dachs Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:48 pm

The pup on the left has a pretty nice apple head (if it was a chihuahua)
And talking of colors and chihuahuas, the merle is a big controversy in that breed.
Just popped up out of the blue several years back and was the hot new color
that some jumped on to produce.
I had been looking for a nice brindle with white longhair chi for my sister in law
but can't seem to find one that doesn't have merle in the background, very frustrating.

Dandy Dachs
Dandy Dachs
Weenie

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down