Dachshund Standard 101
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pointed Dachshunds

4 posters

Go down

Pointed Dachshunds Empty Pointed Dachshunds

Post  Rhodach Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:10 pm

Jenn's thread about colours/patterns etc. has got me thinking.

Till now none of my dachsies have had points so not really had to think about them, now I have Maizie so have to try and get my head around how they occur, I don't get the ay/at thing,that just confuses me even more.

Maizie is bl/cream with one choc/tan parent and one cream parent, if I bred her to a bl/cream who does not carry choc. will all the pups be black and cream or will some be just cream?

My first mating planned for her is with Lincoln[shaded red,no choc in his pedigree] one parent was shaded red who carries cream and the other clear red[no black hair in her coat but has black whiskers and lashes, not a common combination] who has produced bl/tan when mated to a different shaded red. Tia his litter sister also shaded red must carry points as she has produced at least one bl/tan pup when mated to a non pointed cream[must try and find out what other colours were in the litter, so I presume that Lincoln will carry points and possibly cream, does this mean a Maizie/Lincoln mating could have pointed and none pointed pups? Could Maizie carry tan points from her sire and therefore produce bl/tans as well as bl/cream?

So many questions.

Rhodach
Rhodach
Hotdog

http://www.simplesite.com/Rhodach-mini-long-dachshunds

Back to top Go down

Pointed Dachshunds Empty Re: Pointed Dachshunds

Post  Admin Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:58 pm

by Rhodach on Sun 12 Feb 2012 - 13:10

Jenn's thread about colours/patterns etc. has got me thinking.

Till now none of my dachsies have had points so not really had to think about them, now I have Maizie so have to try and get my head around how they occur, I don't get the ay/at thing,that just confuses me even more.

Maizie is bl/cream with one choc/tan parent and one cream parent, if I bred her to a bl/cream who does not carry choc. will all the pups be black and cream or will some be just cream?

My first mating planned for her is with Lincoln[shaded red,no choc in his pedigree] one parent was shaded red who carries cream and the other clear red[no black hair in her coat but has black whiskers and lashes, not a common combination] who has produced bl/tan when mated to a different shaded red. Tia his litter sister also shaded red must carry points as she has produced at least one bl/tan pup when mated to a non pointed cream[must try and find out what other colours were in the litter, so I presume that Lincoln will carry points and possibly cream, does this mean a Maizie/Lincoln mating could have pointed and none pointed pups? Could Maizie carry tan points from her sire and therefore produce bl/tans as well as bl/cream?

So many questions.

Maizie definately WILL carry points since she herself is pointed and she could produce choc/tan, choc/cream, blk/tan, blk/cream and red depending on who she is bred to. Now Lincoln may carry points, but they will not have choc together because he doesn't carry for it, so he will never produce it. As far as what they will get, good question. I guess that will be a surprise. If Lincoln carries points, you could get everything Maizie gets (except choc of course) I am not sure about getting a cream if he carries points..maybe? ...interested to see what people say..
would you care to post his/her pedigree? maybe in the private section if you don't want it displayed? I am kind of curious too:)
Admin
Admin
Admin

http://www.darlingdollhousedachshunds.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Rhodach Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:38 pm

Lincolns pedigree, need to go through and add more colours, better seen at Pawvillage,pics included of some dogs too.

Rhodach’s Catching Dreams
Shaded red Male Dachshund Whelped: 12/25/2008

Sire
Rugosa Mr Bounder of Dinkidudlor

Color: Red

Rhinestar Hunkydory
Lonesome Leo
Eng CH Zyros of Darsoms

Welcumen Leonara

Landelf Mae Queen at Rhinestar
Landelf Leica Hero

Landelf Greta

Tinkerbell Rugosa
Trevollard Crafty Cream at Dacfolke
Maundowne Moments in Time

Trevollard Pure Cream

Coastwinds Cameo at Diquest
Wynnum Mr Motovator

Denver Peaches and Cream

Dam
Chriskim Shimmer of Light at Rhodach

Color: red

Chriskim Ray Of Light
Eng CH Rhinestar Hunky Dory
Lonesome Leo

Landelf Mae Queen at Rhinestar

Ralines Vogue
Eng CH Kizzhar Kavalcade

Cliffmere Echo

Zarcrest Black Scorceress at Chriskim
Eng CH Moon Stalker to Zarcrest
Eng CH Melvalley Moonraker at Raldene

Sweet Jasmin

Eng CH Zarcrest Gold Designer
Eng CH Cliffmere Acclaim for Ralines

Zarcrest Gold Model

Compiled from PawVillage records on 2/12/2012
Click on the to view that dog's pedigree.

Copyright © 1997-2012 PawVillage, all rights reserved.

Maizies is still a work in progress as very few of her ancestors were already on the database,so having to start from scratch for each one,can be soul destroying but at least once it is done it is there to add to future generations,once I have finished it will contact Rabows and get it added to their database too.
Rhodach
Rhodach
Hotdog

Back to top Go down

Post  Bright Star Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:20 pm

Rhoda,

Your puppies will be cream and not tan/red because if you breed 2 creams, you only get creams. This is because red is dominant and can not be carried. So both parents can only contribute a cream gene. If Maize was black/tan, then you could get black/tan or black/cream if Lincoln carries points, plus solid creams and reds. This is because she would have either gene (red or cream) to offer to the gene pool since cream is recessive and can be carried. Does that make sense?

Lincoln may or may not carry points since both of his parents are solids. If he doesn't all puppies would be solid cream in the mating. If he does, then you could get solids and pointeds Smile

Deb
Bright Star
Bright Star
Weenie

http://BrightStarCherokeeDoxieTribe.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:32 pm

Deb, Lincoln is a red and Maizie is a blk/cream. Lincoln's parents were both red and his littermate already has produced pointed pups, plus Lincoln's momma has produced pointed pups in a previous litter (if I understand correctly?)Smile
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Bright Star Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:42 pm

Admin wrote:Deb, Lincoln is a red and Maizie is a blk/cream. Lincoln's parents were both red and his littermate already has produced pointed pups, plus Lincoln's momma has produced pointed pups in a previous litter (if I understand correctly?)Smile

Oops, read it incorrectly, thought Lincoln was also cream. So you will get reds with a possibility of creams if Lincoln has any cream that could have been carried down. But, you still may, or may not, get pointeds because just because his sibling recieved the gene for points, does not mean that he did. If both of his parents only passed on the solid gene, then he will not produce points. Even if Lincoln's mom was 1/2 pointed, she may have only passed on a solid gene. Sorry, no way to know until they get here. Hate it when that happens!
Bright Star
Bright Star
Weenie

http://BrightStarCherokeeDoxieTribe.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:45 pm

I know, lol..I was thinking they would have reds and creams, but not 100% certain since he could possibly carry points:)
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Proud Lake Dachshunds Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:09 pm

Rhodach wrote:

All puppies will be black and cream, unless both parents carry for e, then you will get the ee creams.

Rhodach wrote:

Lincoln may or may not carry points-you won't know until you breed him, unless there is a test for points. It's pretty much a 50/50 chance that he carries for points from Lois. In a red/red mating with both parents carrying for points, each puppy has a 25% chance of being black/tan, 50% chance of being red carrying points, 25% chance of being pure for red. As far as Mazie producing black and tans or reds, that's not up to her. She's black/cream, so she is "pure" for points and cream, so she can only give a pointed gene and a cream gene to her offspring. Lincoln does not carry for cream (right?) and may not carry for points, so he will be the trump card over what Maizie gives. The two bred together will produce only reds and possibly black and tans. Maybe this will help, depending on what Lincoln carries:
IF
Lincoln Maizie
red red no cream no cream pointed pointed cream cream

Puppies
red pointed no cream cream (All red puppies carrying points and cream)
IF
Lincoln Maizie
red pointed no cream no cream pointed pointed cream cream
Puppies have 50% chance of being either
red puppies carrying points and cream, or black/tan puppies carrying cream

Proud Lake Dachshunds
Proud Lake Dachshunds
Hotdog

http://www.proudlakedachshunds.webs.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:14 pm

I can't pull the recent post, but I thought Rhona said one of Lincoln's parent did carry for cream?
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:15 pm

Rhodach wrote:My first mating planned for her is with Lincoln[shaded red,no choc in his pedigree] one parent was shaded red who carries cream and the other clear red[no black hair in her coat but has black whiskers and lashes, not a common combination] who has produced bl/tan when mated to a different shaded red. Tia his litter sister also shaded red must carry points as she has produced at least one bl/tan pup when mated to a non pointed cream[must try and find out what other colours were in the litter, so I presume that Lincoln will carry points and possibly cream, does this mean a Maizie/Lincoln mating could have pointed and none pointed pups? Could Maizie carry tan points from her sire and therefore produce bl/tans as well as bl/cream?

So many questions.

Yeah, possibly cream from sire's side?
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Proud Lake Dachshunds Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:25 pm

Oh, well there you go. He's also got a 50/50 shot at carrying for cream. Have fun sorting out those colors, Lois. Smile
Proud Lake Dachshunds
Proud Lake Dachshunds
Hotdog

http://www.proudlakedachshunds.webs.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:29 pm

by Proud Lake Dachshunds on Sun 12 Feb 2012 - 20:25

Oh, well there you go. He's also got a 50/50 shot at carrying for cream. Have fun sorting out those colors, Lois.

Good Lord ain't that the truth! LOL..Been there done that many, many times:) I ALWAYS get red's and creams and it is a waiting process for atleast a few weeks in most of the litters:)
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Rhodach Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:26 pm

Lincoln's sire,grandsire[also Lois's grandsire] are both shaded reds like him but have produced creams when mated to a cream bitch,this line traces back to those reds who started to produce creams way back.

Lincoln has more cream in his coat than either of the girls,Lexis has none at all she is a very deep red all over, there are black hairs still present if you look closely.

It is really a wait and see game, I have emailed Kim and asked her what colours/patterns the 6 pups that Tia had were, it may give me an inkling unless they all turned out to be bl/tan like Bramble.

It must be very boring for those who breed dogs that only come in one colour/pattern.
Rhodach
Rhodach
Hotdog

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down