Dachshund Standard 101
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What do you class as the essentials in your whelping kit

4 posters

Go down

What do you class as the essentials in your whelping kit Empty What do you class as the essentials in your whelping kit

Post  Rhodach Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:03 pm

Your whelping area needs to somewhere quiet,warm,draught free and secure. Hope you remembered to put petrol in the car

My top 3 items are Vet/Nutro drops to boost Dam and pups energy levels, Calciboost for dam during whelping and post if signs of eclampsia and Dopram V drops applied under the tongue to boost the breathing of a pup who may be struggling provided they have a heart beat or you are doing CPR.

Then there are the basics

Mobile phone with Vets No. on speed dial
High energy/caffiene drinks to keep you going
Cool water for dam if she wants it,no food in case a c/section is required
Heat pad switched on when the serious pushing starts and placed in a box lined with fleece and covered where pups can go for safety/warmth whilst subsequent pups are being delivered to avoid being trampled on
Cleanser for your hands/gloves
Forceps/clamps for cords plus sterilizing solution to keep them in.
Flossing tape if a cord won't stop bleeding when forceps removed or the dam has chewed it too short
Bulb aspirator to suck the fluids out of pups airways/ can also be used to puff air into the pup if needs be but gently
Face flannels to dry/rub/stimulate pups or grab hold to assist a breech delivery or whilst swinging to get rid of excess fluid from airways
Lots of newspaper or puppy wee pads/whelping pads to soak up the fluids and give the dam something to shred when coping with the pain.
Weighing scales,pad and pencil to mark down weights,times,sex and colours and if needs be some way of marking the pups if they all turn out the same colour/sex/size

Please feel free to add other things as I am sure to have missed somethings as it is a while since my last litter.

Jenn can this become a sticky please?

Rhodach
Rhodach
Hotdog

http://www.simplesite.com/Rhodach-mini-long-dachshunds

Back to top Go down

What do you class as the essentials in your whelping kit Empty Re: What do you class as the essentials in your whelping kit

Post  alaskanlowrider Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:01 pm

My top 3 things are Garbage bag (remove used newspaper, placenta's), Bulb syringe and curved hemostats for securing the umbilical cord before cutting, stop bleeding and/or holding placenta still in mom when pup is out.....My other must have's (not on Rhona's list) are:

Thermometer for after whelp to detect fever before external signs are seen, clock/watch to watch between pup times, Incubator box - or in my case an old ramen or otter pop box with a heated rice bag under a thin towel to put pups in when mom is delivering another and/or entice mom to walk around a bit if she needs to turn a pup and/or get things moving again, flashlight in case of power outages, ky jelly for gloves if need to probe mom or turn a pup, Fish scale with an old towel attached to the hook to hold puppy...I have tried kitchen ones and digital ones but the fish one is my favorite as it stays out of the way (hung up), doesn't need batteries and is very accurate, Dark karo syrup -works like nutro in a pinch, puppy formula and a bottle in case mom is in trouble or needs to be supplemented
alaskanlowrider
alaskanlowrider
Weenie

http://alaskanlowriders.com

Back to top Go down

What do you class as the essentials in your whelping kit Empty Re: What do you class as the essentials in your whelping kit

Post  Admin Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:32 pm

Jenn can this become a sticky please?

Yep.. fixed
Admin
Admin
Admin

http://www.darlingdollhousedachshunds.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:38 pm

Bulb aspirator to suck the fluids out of pups airways/ can also be used to puff air into the pup if needs be but gently

I have actually done this with our little 'booger sucker' as I call it ( aspirator)..had a pup needing CPR and mouth to mouth wasn't cutting it...used the bulb to force air into the lungs and it worked like a charm. The puppy didn't make it due to trauma, being born a whole day later and such, but the trick worked and she lived for almost five days I think it was Wink ..

I want to add that I give my momma's a nice scoop of vanilla ice cream if they have been laboring and are worn out and need a quick boost of energy. It is very cooling and satisfying and helps them stay alert and energetic Very Happy
Admin
Admin
Admin

http://www.darlingdollhousedachshunds.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Tinsnips2 Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:20 am

I'm really hopeless :: I think about gathering stuff together when the bitches are in labour : I do have a thermostatically controlled whelping box : and vet bed ( soft confortable bedding that draws moisture away.) I usually grab a pair of scissors out of a drawer or the grooming box ; shove it in some dettol : grab some towels and always have a supply of calcuim Sandoz. that about completes it though !
Tinsnips2
Tinsnips2
Hotdog

http://www.dachshund-miniature-wirehair.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Tinsnips2 Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:25 am

OH one thing I DONT have but really should get and suggest you guys think about it too :: an electric frypan :: I had one years ago with a glass lid : absolutely perfect for those late night trips to the vet :: heat it up prior to leaving stick the pups on a towel in it and pop the lid on : you can keep an eye on them thru the glass lid and when you get to the vets :: just turn the power back on and so long as the thermostat works :: it keeps the pups at an even temp:: you can dial up the temp if required etc :: they are brilliant !
Tinsnips2
Tinsnips2
Hotdog

http://www.dachshund-miniature-wirehair.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum