Dachshund Standard 101
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Home

+2
Proud Lake Dachshunds
Rhodach
6 posters

Go down

New Home Empty New Home

Post  Rhodach Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:58 pm

Didn't really know where to put this.

About the beginning of September I was contacted by this couple,both chaps, via my web site re offering Lexis a new home, as some of you know I have been trying to find the right home for about 2 yrs.,she will be 3 on Xmas Day, we had a long chat with very good questions and answers from their end, one of them had dachsies growing up and the other knew a bit about the breed and was happy with his partners choice.

The next problem was they had no other dog as a companion for Lexis[one of the the reason I had turned down other offers] she has been one of 5 dachsies since her sister went to her forever home, so I suggested they took Lois too[ Chase was pregnant at the time,whole other thread] as they got on well together and no spats like Chase and Lois, I told them to go away and think about it till the next day, they rang me back and said they would be happy to take both. I went round to see where they lived taking the girls with me and it went great, lovely chaps, the girls each grabbed a lap,very surprised at Lois as she normally takes a while to warm to strangers, she may have been following her out going daughters example or thinking if she didn't get in quick she would miss out on her biscuit [non doggie ones]and Lexis would have eaten both,we sat and chatted as if I had known them for ages, so again I told them to give it some thought as going from a no dog household to 2 dog household was a big leap, I also told them that Lexis had been Harry Houdini in a former life and could climb up/escape from where non of the other dachsies could. I made it clear that both girls had to be spayed within a month of getting them and I would then pass ownership to them but if at any time they felt they couldn't keep them then they were to be returned to me no questions asked and I would be putting this in writing for them both to sign, they said that was fair and they would ring me the next day.

One of them rang me the next day and they had loved the girls and would be happy to offer them a home but they were due to go on holiday and could it wait till they returned, I said yes and any future holidays they could come back to me for, they said they intended to take dog friendly hols from now on which I liked hearing. Well weeks went by and like an idiot I never asked when the holiday was so had been trying to get hold of them and decided that they must have chickened out, then out of the blue this morning I gets a phone call saying they were back and was the arrangement still on, then had to tell them that Lois had died yesterday and I wasn't happy to let Lexis go alone so wanted time to think as I thought they had changed their minds after not hearing from them for 2 months, the one I spoke to thought he had told me exactly when and how long for and apologised,he said it would have served them right if I had made other arrangements. So late this afternoon after alot of thought I decided to let Chase go with Lexis,my hopes of her having a successful litter had passed,she will be 6yrs old in December so too old to keep trying, I rang the chaps and told them about Chase and the arrangement would be the same as previously mentioned re Lois, so tommorow afternoon the plan is they come and pick me and the girls up in a taxi and I will stay to settle them in[there are new blankets in the dog bed for the night to get their combined scents] and I will leave the carrier which they can keep and sleep in as they have in the past.

Many of you are probably thinking I've lost the plot after what happened yesterday but another chance like this may never come again, I have been waiting a long time for this type of home,I am going to do alot of crying whenever they go to a new home so may as well get it all out of the way at the same time.,

Sorry it is so long but wanted to share and explain

Rhodach
Rhodach
Hotdog

http://www.simplesite.com/Rhodach-mini-long-dachshunds

Back to top Go down

New Home Empty Re: New Home

Post  Proud Lake Dachshunds Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:24 pm

Rhona, I understand completely where you're coming from, and why you decided to place Chase with Lexis. I'm so happy that you've found the two girls a good home. No fun for you to have no bitches now, and only the two boys, but you've made some friends, and hopefully someone will help you out to get you re-started on your breeding program. Best of luck to you, and those lovely girls in their new, loving home.
Proud Lake Dachshunds
Proud Lake Dachshunds
Hotdog

http://www.proudlakedachshunds.webs.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:32 am

I understand as well. I have Maeve, who is close to I believe almost 8. If I had to ever place her, I would definately place her with one of my other dogs. I wouldn't let her go alone either. I do think your heartbroken over Lois, of course who wouldn't be, but your doing hat is best for your dogs and you were going to let two go together anyway. I hope this turns out to be a good home for your babies. And again, so sorry about Lois..
Admin
Admin
Admin

http://www.darlingdollhousedachshunds.com

Back to top Go down

Post  BeauBuddy Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:47 pm

You are a strong lady. Best wishes to you with such a big change in your life, and of course best wishes to the babies in their new home.
BeauBuddy
BeauBuddy
Weenie

Back to top Go down

Post  Tinsnips2 Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:17 pm

I posted a reply to this the other day :: I thought ?

Anyway :: Rhona :: hard as it may be at this point in time you know in your heart you are doing the right thing :: the home sounds wonderful and I bet you get to see plenty of pics and visit with them as well Smile
Tinsnips2
Tinsnips2
Hotdog

http://www.dachshund-miniature-wirehair.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Rhodach Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:40 pm

The girls went to their new home on Wednesday,I needed a few more days before letting them go, so far Chase has settled well but Lexis is hiding in the carrier and whining under her breath,hardly eaten anything including cheese and come bed time starts howling,even bringing her into bed doesn't help her settle any better,they are going to try over the weekend and see how things go from there, if no better then she is coming back here then there is the question as to whether Chase will be OK on her own.
Rhodach
Rhodach
Hotdog

Back to top Go down

Post  alaskanlowrider Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:20 pm

This home sounds like a good one ...patient, understanding, keeping you informed etc. It is hard to let them go but a lot easier when that "perfect" family comes along. From what you have said, it sounds like Chase is doing great and may not need to be with a familiar dog being how she has taken to her new home rather quickly in spite of Lexis' fear.

I find it really funny how they act so different in other places and around different people like my mom's girl Rosie, when I visit she seems excited to see me running to say "hi" but after coming in whenever I call her over she rolls onto her back for some reason. My mom says, she has never seen her do this to anyone else.
alaskanlowrider
alaskanlowrider
Weenie

http://alaskanlowriders.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Proud Lake Dachshunds Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:38 pm

That is my biggest fear with Cricket, that she won't settle in. Crossing fingers that she adjusts soon.
Proud Lake Dachshunds
Proud Lake Dachshunds
Hotdog

http://www.proudlakedachshunds.webs.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Rhodach Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:42 pm

Lexis came home today,they tried all sorts to get her to eat but she was having none of it, Lincoln was so happy to see her he wee'd all over the floor and Lexis jumped all over Rhuari's head which has been her greeting to him since she was a tiny pup.

Just hoping that Chase stays settled,one of the chaps works from home so she won't be alone for long periods.
Rhodach
Rhodach
Hotdog

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down