Dachshund Standard 101
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Changes in breeding rules UK

2 posters

Go down

Changes in breeding rules UK Empty Changes in breeding rules UK

Post  Rhodach Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:31 am

From January 1st 2012 things are changing.

No litter will be registered from a bitch who has required more than 2 C/Sections, this depends on vets passing on info to the KC of all C/S's they do and the breeder being honest at litter registration and declaring the whelping was by C/S to keep accurate records.

Bitches are limited to 4 litters[used to be 6] in their life time, first mating over 1 yr old and final whelping before 8yrs old

Majority of breeders are happy with these changes but there are a few who do not agree with the C/S restrictions, some breeds like Bulldogs need C/S's due to the shape and size of the puppy head being incompatible with the dams pelvis, but there are some lines apparently who rarely need C/S's so all lines should be striving for the same instead of taking the easy way out each time.

Thought I would post this and see what the opinions were of breeders in other parts of the world.
Rhodach
Rhodach
Hotdog

http://www.simplesite.com/Rhodach-mini-long-dachshunds

Back to top Go down

Changes in breeding rules UK Empty Re: Changes in breeding rules UK

Post  alaskanlowrider Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:48 pm

Personally, I think its a great idea all the way around though if I have to have a c-section, i'll do a spay at the same time as I don't want to risk another one and I do not like my girls having more than 3 litters. In my honest opinion, If I don't get what I want for the next generation by then, then I am doing something wrong. Yes, there are those breeds that need c-sections but I think they got to that situation by accepting them....what did they do before this technology became available?

I think some vets will just tell people what they want to hear like a friend of mine's vet told her its ok to breed her female despite having surgery to repair an inguinal hernia. Even the Merck Vet manual says not too. Luckily, she didn't want to take the risk after speaking with her and got her girl spayed but if we hadn't talked, she would have bred her girl because her vet said it was ok. Of course, this is all just my opinion Wink
alaskanlowrider
alaskanlowrider
Weenie

http://alaskanlowriders.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Rhodach Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:18 pm

I think it would depend on the reason for the C/S as to whether I would concider another pregnancy, if it was small pelvis, primary inertia with normal number of pups I probably not bother again,if it was one huge pup/normal singleton or malpresented pup then I'd go for it.

I too feel if you haven't got what you wanted within 3 litters to different studs it is time to move on.
Rhodach
Rhodach
Hotdog

http://www.simplesite.com/Rhodach-mini-long-dachshunds

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down